The Department of Civil Engineering established in the year 1979, is one of the oldest department in the Institute offering B.Tech. degree. The current approved annual intake of the department is 120. The department has been accredited thrice by the NBA. The department has been producing some of the best civil engineers for more than 3.5 decades. The department has been offering the finest and unparalleled quality of civil engineering education not only in the district but also in the entire JNTUA region. The students graduating from the department every year are occupying some of the top positions in the government and private sectors both within and outside the country, and are also heading their own enterprises.
The B.Tech Programme in Civil Engineering offered by the Department has been accredited by NBA for the fourth time under Tier-I for three years.
NBA Expert Team visited the campus during 11-13 November 2016 and evaluated all the five Departments of ECE, EEE, CSE, Civil and Mechanical Engineering under Tier-I System.
All the five Departments have been accredited under Tier-I for the years 2016 -’17, 2017-’18 and 2018-’19 up to 30-06-2019.
Emphasis on practical education coupled with strong concept oriented teaching-learning process has been the backbone of the department ever since its inception. The excellent infrastructure is further an added advantage.
The department has ten well established laboratories housed spaciously with excellent natural lighting and ventilation. All the laboratories are well maintained by technically qualified personnel. During the practical classes, every student is trained to individually handle and use the equipment in all the laboratories to get complete hands-on experience. A unique survey camp is conducted every year to make the students thoroughly understand the practical concepts of surveying using the most modern survey equipment. The department also offers coursework in GIS and GPS with practical training in the use of relevant software and equipment. The Computer Aided Analysis and Design (CAAD) laboratory is fully equipped with licensed software for drawing plans, structural analysis and design, structural drawings and quantity estimation. The department has separate fully equipped laboratories for structural engineering, highway engineering, concrete technology, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering and geology along with CAAD laboratory. Apart from regular curriculum, these laboratories are thoroughly utilized by every student for carrying out their final year project works. Some of the student projects are also getting published as research papers in international journals.
In several technical and paper presentation contests conducted throughout the country, the students of this department have been winning a good number of prizes every year. The department also conducts an annual national level paper presentation contest drawing students from several engineering colleges. The individual attention given to students in the academic and other student-related activities has been immensely helpful in keeping the civil engineering students of NBKRIST stay far ahead of students graduating from other Institutes.
The department conducts faculty development programs (FDP) for the teachers to update their domain knowledge. The teaching staff of the department is also encouraged to attend seminars, conferences, workshops, summer schools and short-term training programs. As part of its social responsibility, the department has been conducting programs to train personnel from construction industry.
The department has a strong consultancy wing offering services in all specializations of civil engineering to several government and private companies all over the state over the last three decades.
To promote excellence in civil engineering education, enrich research and provide quality professional service to the society in all areas of civil engineering
To provide a learnercentered environment for students to gain comprehensive knowledge in civil engineering.
To provide a learning experience that fosters an aptitude for research.
To provide graduates with contemporary skills and tools required to excel in civil engineering profession or alternate fields.
To produce graduates to serve within the constraints of complex needs of the society with high integrity.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES(PEO's)
PEO 1: Graduates will be proficient in the fundamental knowledge of basic science, engineering science including mathematical and computational skills appropriate for civil engineering.
PEO 2: Graduates will be successful practicing engineers in civil engineering and allied fields or alternate careers using their technical knowledge, teamwork, communication skills and leadership qualities.
PEO 3: Graduates will be innovative problem solvers within the realistic constraints of economic, environmental, social, political, health, safety and sustainability impacts, and serve the society as responsible professionals with integrity
PEO 4: Graduates will engage in lifelong learning within the profession or through higher studies.
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10.Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12.Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES(PSO's)
PSO1:The graduates will excel in software tools related to major disciplines of Civil Engineering.
PSO2:The graduates will provide innovative solutions to the Civil Engineering problems.
PSO3:The graduates will exhibit prowess to serve as entrepreneuring Civil Engineering consultants.
Head of the Department
Dr. Durbha Srinivas
|Dr.C. Raveendra Reddy,Professor & H.O.D of Science & Humanities